Are your holiday decorations KID PROOF?
When decorating for the holidays, it is important to keep in mind how young children, yours or your guests, will interact with your decorations.
Here are some questions you might ask yourself........
Do they have any sharp edges, metal hooks or points that might scratch or cut a child?
Do they have any materials, layers, or small pieces that might be easily pulled apart or ingested?
Do they have pieces or parts that could shatter or break if dropped?
Do any of the decorations run a chance of shedding or drying out (like pine needles) and falling on floor and thus becoming a potential choking hazard?
If you answer YES to any of these questions, these decorations should be stored out of reach of small children and pets.
With climbing toddlers, don't forget to eliminate opportunities for them to climb up to the decorations.
For example, breakable ornaments should be put on the top of the tree, with the child safe ones on the bottom of the tree.
When in doubt about the safety of an item, err on the side of caution. And if you ever feel your child may have ingested something harmful, call the Poison Control Center right way at 1-800-222-1222.
For more Safety tips, visit Safekids.org or talk to your pediatrician.